It is a pleasure to announce that the Spanish Ministry of Education, Culture and Sport, through its Subdirectorate General for Libraries Coordination, will be celebrating its 6th National Congress of Public Libraries in Burgos, Spain, next 9, 10 and 11 October 2012, under the theme: Public Libraries: individual memory, global heritage.
This will also be an Europeana event, which will include speakers from Spain, Europe and the rest of the world. The Congress is also organised in collaboration with the Autonomous Community of Castilla y León and the Municipality of Burgos.
The sessions will be related to the following themes:
The impact of the digital in library services:
- Online services.
- Changes in the model of loans.
- Changes in the model of information search.
- Changes in the collection management: e-books and other digital resources.
- Copyright and digital contents –creation, access and dissemination-.
Libraries and their communities in the digital era:
- People’s engagement/involvement.
- Virtual space vs. Physical space.
- Library services for different population groups and professional sectors.
- The value of libraries to impulse social inclusion and local economical development.
- The participation of the people in the creation of digital content, and the role of libraries as drivers of these projects to give them global reach.
- The contribution of the people to the enrichment of digital contents: social tagging, social networks, etc.
- The library as content aggregator.
- Libraries and their support to the interest in local and family history and cultural tourism.
- Reusing the library contents as an essential value of libraries.
Cooperation with archives, museums, audiovisual institutions and other organisations in digital projects
- Preservation of contents from the local sphere in the digital sphere, preservation of the oral tradition, intangible heritage, etc.
- Preservation of current contents to access them in the future.
- Creation of digital contents in different media: audio, text, image, 3-dimensional objects, etc.
- Initiatives of libraries for the digital dissemination and preservation of the cultural movements of its municipality.
- Projects that give a common access to library, archives, museum and audiovisual resources.
The opening of the registration period will be announced soon.
More information can be found -currently only in Spanish-here:
Updates will follow.
Subdirectorate General for Libraries Coordination
Ministry of Education, Culture and Sport